Dental Sealants in San Rafael, CA
Dental sealants are safe, plastic coatings applied on the chewing surfaces of rear teeth. Our experienced dentist near you provides a range of preventive dental care solutions, including exams and cleanings, gum disease screening, and sealants.
Why Are Dental Sealants Important?
When we consume foods containing sugars, bacteria feed on the sugars and release acids that attack tooth enamel. There are two main reasons why rear teeth are more prone to cavities:
1. They are pitted and grooved to help grind food for easy digestion. Food and debris get trapped in the grooves, which then become breeding grounds for bacteria. Dr. Peter Zahedi educates children and adults regarding correct brushing and flossing techniques.
2. Rear teeth are harder to clean as children find it challenging to reach hard-to-access spots with toothbrush bristles. Dental sealants from San Rafael Dentistry can prevent decay from starting in the molars and premolars.
How Are Sealants Applied?
Our skilled dentist in San Rafael, CA, takes just a few minutes to apply sealants. We will first clean the tooth, dry it, and roughen the surface with a conditioning gel before applying a clear, liquid sealant to encase the chewing surface. Dr. Peter Zahedi uses a special light to harden the sealant.
The procedure to apply sealants is quick, non-invasive, and painless and does not involve the administration of local anesthesia or numbing gel. Sealants are transparent and cannot be seen when your child laughs or speaks. Although sealants are commonly applied for children, adults can also benefit from them.
How Else Can You Prevent Cavities?
While sealants in San Rafael, CA, are effective, they cannot prevent cavities on their own. Follow these tips to prevent the onset of decay and cavities:
- Children should brush their teeth twice a day with specially formulated, mild toothpaste products.
- Minimize the consumption of sugary foods like hard candies, sodas, chocolates, and lollipops that increase the risks of cavities.
- Train children to floss their teeth; this prevents decay from forming between teeth and near the gum line.
Remember to schedule regular, twice-yearly appointments at San Rafael Dentistry for exams, cleanings, and protective sealants near you.